About This Site
What is an RPG?
Bigass List of Games
Systems & Reviews
RPG SYSTEM DESIGN
This is a collection of essays on role-playing game system design.
I have tried to make them fairly general.
RPG Design Glossary
- This is a general glossary of RPG design terms, my shot
at a common set of terminology even though game companies
and games vary in usage.
- Dice Mechanics
- This is an article which compares and contrasts different ways of
rolling dice to obtain a result. It looks strictly at how the
dice are read rather than larger issues.
- Dice-Rolling Mechanisms in RPGs (Added September 21, 2006)
- An essay by Torben Mogensen with more advanced formulas for
calculating dice probabilities. He also has a program for
dice rolling and calculations, called simply
- Card Mechanics (Added April 26, 2005)
- The following are notes on different types of card mechanics
which have been used in RPGs. There is little analysis here
yet. Rather, it is documentation of mechanics which have been
Class and Template Mechanics
- This is an essay which discusses the purpose and workings of
class mechanics (such as used in D&D) along with the
relation to template mechanics (such as used in Shadowrun),
as well as a host of related mechanics.
Hero Point Mechanics
(Added November 18, 2004)
- An review of the history of hero points mechanics in
RPGs, along with some thoughts on design choices for
how they should work in a game.
Nature vs Nurture in RPGs
- This is an essay which discusses how RPGs run into the
age-old problem of "Nature vs Nurture". It discusses in
general the problem of the relation of attributes and
skills and options to deal with this.
Wounding Mechanics in RPGs
(Added July 16, 2004)
- An overview of the different kinds of wounding mechanics
used in various RPGs, and some preliminary analysis which
compares their features. Also includes a list of links on
real-world wounding data and analysis.
RPG Design Links
John H. Kim <jhkim-at-darkshire-dot-net>
Last modified: Sat Aug 20 02:43:01 2011