Wyrd Cards: Whimsy Cards for Vikings
For two years, I ran a role-playing campaign dubbed
Vikings & Skraelings.
It used a simplified variant of the RuneQuest rules, with
the addition of home-made version of the Whimsy Cards from
Lion Rampant. Since the game was about fatalistic Norsemen,
they were dubbed the "Wyrd Cards" by the players. I made
several changes to the deck to fit with the feel of the game.
As part of analysis, I also grouped the cards into five
- Positive Influence
- Negative Influence
- Plot Twist
- First Impressions (new)
- Someone is impressed by a first meeting with a character or
group. It may be their appearance, or auspicious events, or
just a quirk of mood. You may define what the impression is.
- Second Chance
- Spectacular Success
- Unexpected Aid
- Insight (new)
- Circumstances give someone new insight into a character or
a situation, revealing depths not previously understood.
This may be a public display or it may be a personal
- Popular Recognition (new)
- Some action or speech attracts the attention of many people,
either directly or by rumor. A heroic act may become reknown,
an idea may become the talk of the town, or a dishonorable
act may become infamous.
- Added Animosity
- Bad Tidings
- Double Jeopardy
- Error of Judgment
- Horrible Failure
- Inopportune Arrival
- Misguided Love
- Misplaced Trust
- Ominous Omen
- Painful Injury (new)
- Something results in a painful injury. This may be a blow
in combat, or a wound-causing accident, or perhaps
psychological trauma from some remark or circumstance.
- Turn for the Worse
- Acceptance (new)
- A character comes to accept things as they are for some
reason. This may be fatalistic resigning to one's fate,
or the character may have new feelings on the subject.
- Bravery (new)
- [to be written]
- Change of Heart
- Emotional Release
- Extreme Caution
- Rash Impulse (new)
- Someone springs into action without thought or perhaps without
care of the consequences.
- Romantic Development (new)
- The romance of two characters has a chance to develop. It may
be the start of affection, or a twist in an existing relationship,
or just reaffirming and deepening of feelings.
- Internal Conflict
- Lasting Impression
- Moral Dilemma
- New Role
- Parting of Ways
- Personality Clash
- Pivotal Decision
- Sacrifice (new)
- A great gain is made, but at the cost of a great sacrifice.
It may be giving up something cherished, or it may be that
a character gives up life for loved ones or for a cause.
- Sudden Reversion
- Tables Turn
- Things Are Not As They Seem
- Trade Places
- Ulterior Motive
- Abrupt Change of Events
- Bizarre Coincidence
- Draw a Blank
- Erratic Behavior
- Silver Lining (new)
- There is some positive gain that comes with a failure. The
failure still occurs, but something good happens as well.
- Something Missing
- Special Circumstances
- Unexplained Consequence
- Unexplained Event
- Vivid Detail
- Wormy Apple (new)
- There is a negative consequence to a success. The action
still succeeds, but something bad happens as well. An enemy
is slain but the sword stuck in the body; a target is convinced
too well and becomes overly helpful; etc.
John H. Kim <jhkim-at-darkshire-dot-net>
Last modified: Sun Jan 23 00:53:11 2005