Dice Mechanics: Examples
This is the third of three articles discussing common dice-using
mechanics used in tabletop RPGs (aka "narrative" or
"pencil-and-paper" RPGs). This articles looks at the dice mechanics
of specific published systems and analyzes their features.
- The d10 dice-match system used in the WWII superhero RPG
from Pagan Publishing and Hobgoblynn Press.
- The d6 dice-pool system used in Last Unicorn Games'
"Star Trek" and "Dune" games.
- This old superhero game used a universal table with percentile dice.
A little analysis shows the principles behind the table, and possible
alternatives that match the results.
- The d6 dice-pool system used in Dream Pod 9's games:
Jovian Chronicles, Tribe 8, and Gear Krieg.
- The d10 dice-pool system used in White Wolf's "World of
Revised Storyteller / New World of Darkness
- The modified d10 dice-pool system used in the third edition of
White Wolf's "World of Darkness" games.
- The modified d10 dice-pool system used in White Wolf's
"Trinity", "Aberrant", and "Adventure!" games.
John H. Kim <jhkim-at-darkshire-dot-net>
Last modified: Fri Aug 5 00:02:59 2011