The Lord of the Rings RPG
This is a page for Decipher's "The Lord of the Rings" Roleplaying Game,
released in late 2002, but also about role-playing in Tolkien's
Middle-earth in general.
Review of LotR RPG Core Book
- This is my review of the core book, which goes into fair
detail based on a close reading, sorting through online errata
and rulings, and playtesting.
The Northern Shadow Campaign
- A link for the LOTR campaign which I played in from February
2003 to January 2004. It was set in neary Lake-town and
Mirkwood early in the time period of the War of the Ring.
House Rules Document (First Draft)
- Background on the Beornings as a culture, who are mentioned
but not detailed in the Lord of the Rings RPG book -- and
never described directly as a people in Tolkien.
Principles of Magic in Middle Earth
- A collection of quotes and speculation on the nature of
magic in Tolkien's Middle Earth -- mostly independent of
- A collection of campaign ideas set on Middle Earth in roughly
the times and regions of the Lord of the Rings, independent
of rules system.
- My links for Tolkien role-playing in general, including
for Decipher's LOTR, ICE MERP, and general sites for
background on Tolkien.
Interview of Steven S. Long
- An interview of Steven S. Long from August 2001 answering
questions about the design of the RPG.
LotR RPG Core Book Combined Errata
- Decipher has released three files: an "errata" file which
corrects outright editting errors, a "rulings" file which
corrects unclear text, and an "FAQ" which corrects common
mistakes. This file merges all three, organized by page
number of the core book.
LotR RPG Character Generation Summary
- This provides a step-by-step view of character generation,
not clear from the original rulebook.
Table of Order Skills
- This is a table which shows the skills for all of the
orders in the core book in a compact form.
- This is a large page with a table of all the combinations
of two orders. It links to a view of the comparison of their
skill sets: what skills they have in common, what each has
in addition, and what they are missing.
- This is a single-page table of the maneuvers from the core
rulebook, put into a handy table.
Sample Fellowship of the Ring Stats
- This is some sample stats for characters out of the
Fellowship of the Ring sourcebook (Frodo, Gandalf, Aragorn,
Legolas). To me, it was eye-opening about the system and
how it viewed itself in relation to the material.
- Other References
Role-Playing in the Fourth Age by Jeff Black
Names of Middle Earth by Colin Chapman (100KB, 4 pages)
Decipher Rules Quick Reference (100KB, 13 pages)
Decipher Spell List / Grimoire (150KB, 1 page)
John H. Kim
Last modified: Thu Jan 24 10:18:00 2008