Tolkien-related RPG Links
LotR CODA RPG
Official Deciper Site
- The now-defunct official site by the publishers of the new CODA
system RPG released in 2002.
- The company that controls licenses for games based on
The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
Steward and King
- A fan site for the RPG.
Official LOTR RPG Discussion Forum
- The official Decipher discussion forum for the LotR RPG,
now defunct (formerly at calder.decipher.com).
Semi-Official Discussion Forum
- A discussion forum for the Decipher LotR RPG, hosted by an
independent group which supports the Star Trek RPGs.
Representatives of Decipher do post official material here
Valinor (Jeff's LotR Page)
- A fan site, complete with a discussion forum, along with entries
such as character sheets for various NPCs from the movies.
Middle Earth Gaming Guild
- Another fan site, with a series of GM essays, several NPCs
from the movies (including Haldir, Lurtz, Telpedo, and Denethor),
and several magic items.
- A web page on various Middle Earth gaming, including the
strategy battle miniatures game and role-playing game. It
has various RPG product reviews.
The Shadow Grows
- A file server for a LotR campaign set in the Second Age of
Middle-earth, just a few years after the forging of the One
The Northern Shadow Campaign (GM's Page)
- A site for a campaign run in the SF Bay Area.
Tolkien Source Material
The Encyclopedia of Arda
- An extremely extensive encyclopedia of Middle Earth.
- A less slick encyclopedia project which nevertheless has
Calacirya, The Pass of Light
- A fine general Tolkien site with maps, essays, genealogies,
The Sindarin Dictionary Project
- An online dictionary, but which requires online lookup.
Hypertext Tolkien FAQ
- A collection of questions with references for answers.
J.R.R. Tolkien Inspired Artwork Gallery
- A site which with hundreds of works ranging from famous
professional paintings and maps to amateur art.
Tolkien Gateway Wiki
- A Tolkien encyclopedia done as a wiki with over 1,000 pages.
ICE's Middle Earth RPG (MERP)
Middle Earth Role-playing Community
- An extensive site on MERP. See in particular,
City of Solis MERP Resources
- A site with three complete adventures and 30 maps.
- A site with information on the geography of Arda's continents,
Rolemaster, and German Middle-Earth LARP-ing.
v.davis MERP files
- This is a set of over a dozen files of MERP modules in PDF
Alatar.org MERP Files
- A site with regular MERP modules file downloads.
Forodwaith's MERP Page
- A site with rules material, characters, and two complete
- An online webzine with coverage of Rolemaster, MERP, and the
Middle Earth CCG.
Linkan's MERP and Rolemaster Page
- Personal site with some characters, adventure ideas, and
Mark McLean's MERP Pages
- Personal site with a scattering of new rules, creatures,
Andreas Lindholm's MERP Pages
- Personal site with a fair number of adventures and artifacts.
MERP Campaign Project Mailing List
- Archives of a now-defunct discussion list.
Other Role-playing Systems
Lord of the Rings LARP
Tolkien's Magic for Amber FRP
The Lord of the Rings characters for Fantasy Hero
- An adaptation of HarnMaster magic to Middle Earth
- Notes on a new system for Middle Earth (incomplete).
Ambarquenta: Tales of Fate in Middle Earth, preview release 5.9
- The preview release of a free RPG set in Middle Earth by Georg
Witrisal and The Heren Turambarion. It draws from both the Decipher
LotR RPG and Iron Crown's MERP.
Legends of Middle Earth
- A free RPG by Jeffrey S. Schecter, using a very simple system.
It is 25 pages, using a system of rolling under skill using
a number of d6s (1d6 to 5d6 or more) based on difficulty.
Character creation is by choosing race and profession package
("role"), plus three pools of limited points for skills,
special abilities, and passions.
Boardgames and Wargames
Ages in Middle-Earth
- "An IRC based roleplaying project created to give J.R.R. Tolkien
fans the chance to play characters in his realm."
Beleriand MUSH Homepage
- A virtual environment and game where we have tried to recreate
the world of J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth books. The action of
Beleriand specifically takes place in the First Age:
Middle-earth at its height! This is the time of the War
of the Jewels, the fantastic struggle of the Free Peoples
against the awesome power of the great Vala Morgoth and his
- Elendor MUSH
- A J.R.R. Tolkien based MUSH with over 1600 players, over
5700 rooms, and one of the top 3 in activity based on
Amberyl's automated MUSH list. Founded in 1991.
- A strategic role playing game (i.e. a player plays a particular
"nation" of Middle-earth, rather than an individual adventurer)
hosted by Game Systems, Inc. (GSI), which offers campaigns set
in three time periods: ca. TA 1650, ca. TA 2950, and ca. FA
1000. The site includes several articles, especially on the
Fourth Age setting.
MUME: Multi Users in Middle Earth
- A multi user role-playing game that has been running since fall
'91. The action takes place in the late Third Age, before The
Hobbit and after the loss of the One Ring by Sauron. The key of
Erebor was just found by Gandalf in Dol Guldur and all the epic
tales narrated in The Lord of the Rings may take place.
- Recently acquired an exclusive, eight-year contract, to develop
Middle-earth as an on-line RPG environment.
Tolkien's Army of Angmar: Genesis MUD
- A free online realtime multiplayer roleplaying game set in
John H. Kim
Last modified: Thu Nov 14 12:34:11 2013