A Royal Celebration
The crown prince of Florin is due to be married to the daughter of their greatest enemy. The kingdom prepares to rejoice in a celebration of impending peace. Behind the scenes, though, the castle is buzzing with rumors that disguised pirates are among the guests.
This is a comedic fantasy larp, in the spirit of The Princess Bride with nods to A Midsummer Night's Dream along with Monty Python and the Holy Grail. There is real intrigue and adventure, but also outrageous talents and improbable plot contrivances. The content will be suitable for both adults and teens.
Characters (Public Info)
- Alaric: Steward of the royal palace of Florin.
- Avery: aka "The Amazing Avery." Magician and advisor to General Granville. He is reknowned for his powerful magic, though his motivations are mysterious.
- Baldwin: Younger princeling of Florin.
- Barnabas: An enterprising and feared pirate captain, rival of the Dark Pirate Stevens.
- Barnes: Director of a famed theater troupe.
- Bernadot: Queen of Florin. An arranged marriage with the older Herberunt when he inherited the throne.
- Camille: The head councilor of Gilder, ambassador to Florin. Known for shady dealings, but opposed to war.
- Ferdinand: Captain of the palace guard. An older knight not known for his wits, with ambitions to be a playwright.
- Granville: Top general of Gilder, guardian of Lady Naeva.
- Guildenstern: A noble of the palace guard, an immigrant of Denmark who had fled the political troubles there.
- Harmon: Crown prince of Florin.
- Herberunt: The elderly King of Florin, who inherited the throne 19 years ago when his brother Humphrey was lost at sea.
- Humphrey: Former King of Florin, younger brother of Herberunt. Lost at sea while returning from his extended honeymoon on the Isles of Splendor.
- Jayden: The famed pirate-fighting hero who defeated the Dark Pirate Stevens.
- Naeva: Noble lady of Gilder, ward of General Granville, and bride-to-be of Prince Harmon.
- Rosencrantz: A noble of the palace guard, an immigrant of Denmark who had fled the political troubles there.
- Stevens: aka The Dark Pirate Stevens. A fearsome pirate, who two months ago was defeated and slain by Jayden, and his famed treasure brought to Florin.
- Terry: a palace servant for the past year, known as "Big Ears" Terry, who was hired from the house of a respected but corrupt duke.
- Trudy: Princess of Florin, eldest child of King Herberunt.
Standard larp rules for the local tradition should apply, possibly including willingness the conventions for "cut" and "break" to adjust play, and/or the American "no touching" convention. The following are rules specific to this larp:
- No Killing: This is a light comedy, so every player is responsible for finding reasons not to kill any other player characters. You may knock someone out, but they will come around after roughly two minutes. You may wound, but wounds should be superficial, not bloody or gory.
- Talents Take Precedence: Each character has one thing that they are good at above all else. Any time such a talent is invoked, it overwhelms any other consideration.
- Otherwise, Flip A Coin: Except for the one thing they are good at, all characters are on an even footing. The outcome of any physical contest should be decided by the flip of a coin.
John H. Kim <jhkim-at-darkshire-dot-net>
Last modified: Sun Sep 18 01:03:16 2011