Lacuna Part 1 Campaign Notes
These are notes from my running a short campaign of Lacuna Part 1. It was distinctive in that Lacuna is usually run as a one-shot or short adventures, whereas we played for ten sessions. Most of the eight adventures were straight runs, but there was a steady progression of unusual events regarding what was happening in the real world. The real story behind Lacuna is somewhat secret, though also somewhat vague in the game text. To optionally avoid spoilers,
click here to unhide/hide text with spoilers below.
The progression of the campaign was that almost every session started with the PCs on a mission as agents with no memory of who they are. However, there was a steady progression of clues for many things. Each time, the agent would appear in the middle of something -- apparently replacing the body of a person in that world. The leader, Agent Hammer, first appeared sitting up on a tray in a hospital morgue. In later adventures she continued to appear in morbid situations. In one adventure where the player Nancy couldn't make it, I had Control report that Agent Hammer should be there - but there was only a graveyard where they said to find her. In contrast, Agent Tucker often jumped into violent situations, such as appearing just as he was dropping a match into a pool of gasoline. Control at some point told them that how they jumped in depended on their psychological state.
At the end of each adventure, they would have about a minute where they appeared in hospital beds with various electrodes hooked up to them. However, they blacked out after just a minute in that reality.
The players also slowly got impressions about who their targets were and what they were doing. In the Lacuna game text, the agents are curing criminals of problems by isolating them from the collective unconscious. In my game, the sense of the targets they were going after shifted. There was a warning at some point about taking government contracts, and then one adventure involved attacking a target in a mosque. They also started receiving contacts from a person who seemed to know about them - a woman named Terrill.
I also interpreted that the spider-men were part of a general process where the collective unconscious was reacting against the intrusion of these agents into the natural flow. In later adventures, increasingly dangerous arachnids and insects appeared to endanger them. These could also potentially talk, and grew fairly disturbing.
In the end, the agents all ended up cooperating with a plan of working with Terrill and other people of "The Company" to leave the employ of the Institute and take control over their lives.
- Agent Hammer (played by Nancy)
- The team leader, whose insertions always involved a morbid
element, to the point of once being inserted into a coffin
and not being found.
F; Age 40; F2/I4/A3; Talent Strategy; Techniques Bulletproof; Mentor Duke.
- Agent Tucker (played by Black)
- The youngest member of the team, who always forgot who he was
and what he was doing each mission. He had an unhealthy obsession
with a woman named "Jill," who began to appear on missions - and
had identity problems after that, where he began to alternately
appear as Agent Mercer.
M; Age 29; F4/I3/A2; Talent Intuition; Techniques Writer; Mentor Snyder.
- Agent Piper (played by Peter)
- An older agent, who in principle seemed gifted at blending in.
M; Age 48; F3/I3/A3; Talent Intelligence; Techniques Documents; Mentor Baxter.
- Agent Taylor (played by Sandra)
- A headstrong agent who grew weary of the pattern of missions,
Taylor often appeared in the middle of a stressful situation.
F; Age 41; F2/I3/A4; Talent Investigation; Techniques Bulletproof; Mentor Duke.
- Agent Schreiber (played by Albert)
- A talented agent who worked hard for the company to a point, but
then became one of the first to consider turning against them.
M; Age 48; F3/I3/A3; Talent Communication; Techniques Caller; Mentor Chambers.
The mentors were:
What follows are my somewhat incoherent notes about what happened in
the various sessions of the game.
- Taylor in hospital; Piper in car; Tucker running from alley. Meets up w/ Taylor in hospital.
- Schreiber in reception in the ...; Hammer in the hospital morgue.
- Target on 17th floor, named Geoffrey Frensett
- Taylor on street in trouble with gang members; Schrieber is in a police car; Tucker shows up just having dropped a match in a pool of gasoline
- Piper behind store counter; Hammer in trunk of car as corpse
- Target is Bongkuk Roh aka "Pickman" ; Korean killer for Chinese tong
- Spidermen may show up - disrupt fight with the Chinese tong members - with several displaying powers
- Everyone gets an added Technique
- Tucker shows up as the driver in crash who survived ; Piper is phoned about delay of Hammer
- Schrieber is working in hotel ; Taylor is being questioned by lawyers ; Hammer is scattered in forest
- Random writing: "In She We Trust" ; "Eyeball Mountain Hotel" ; "Flesh tax assessment"; "City Ambulance - Pit Viper Community Hospital"; "Eyeball Canyon Police Department"
- Hotel with symbol of "Green Rat."
- Tucker is upset and unable to deal. The woman from the ambulance, Jill, tries to talk to him and says that he seems familiar to her.
- Start in mosque with graveyard out back (? where Agent Hammer is ?)
- Piper is bowing in prayers; Tucker is handling bomb; Taylor is being given VIP treatment as "Tribune"
- "I am Agent Tucker. I am a mystery agent operating in the Blue City. I can pick up any phone and say 'Control' to contact Control. Jill still loves me."
- Two-headed dog assaults
- Two 7-foot people who have wings demand that they talk to their target
- Taylor stabbed by reporter with a knife that sucks into her body
- Voice on phone calling herself "Terill" tells them that the company is lying to them
- Talked to Hamid who said that they were going from police work into politics
- Debrief: Taylor wrote "Terill says they people aren't telling whole story" and something about psychic imbalance but then hid the note and started a new one
- Start around a laundry truck across from the embassy on the hill
- Piper is driving; Hammer is riding shotgun; Taylor is on street with an easy-going two-headed dog
- Tucker is loading weapons in back of the truck with a loving Jill
- Schreiber is in penthouse office with Terill looking at docs & embassy plans. Terill says that she doesn't trust them but is willing to play along because she isn't sure.
- Embassy is guarded by armed guards and two-headed dogs.
- Angels - Terill calls "winged ones" (?) - to be distracted by bomb.
- Target is Shobin, on for 4 hours
- Hammer is confronted by angel in the ballroom, with Piper - who ejected early
- Tucker runs to find Jill
- Taylor shoots at car because it was leaving without her, disabling it.
- Schrieber and Taylor go with Terrill and are in saucer-copter when spiderman attacks and they punch out
- Hammer captured by angel and begin torture, then escaped and got to phone
- Tucker finds Jill, and she helps him eject
- (Big Picture - going after Terrill)
- Start in assault on compound; they are tag-teaming with a previous company team; and they have new member, Agent Mercer.
- Agent Mercer just slashed a guard's throat.
- Hammer is a doctor going in the front, with Piper as a paramedic.
- Taylor is dropping in on a zip line
- Schrieber is watching and controlling from the top of the zip line (w/ telescope).
- Mercer has a note in his pocket: "I am Agent Mercer. I am a natural born killer. (...) Jill is dead to me."
- Mercer finds bag with rope, grapnel, and 3 grenades
- Mercer and Taylor meet up
- Hammer & Piper stuck guy in stairwell and up elevator
- End session early with Hammer and Piper in elevator on top floor, and Taylor behind in office room while Mercer charges
- (Plan: Terrill is surprised about what happens and resists)
- Hammer tries to take out Terrill and then post-eject strangle Schrieber
Next Short Session (Adventure #7)
- Hammer below the bridge looking up at the van hanging over bridge
- Mercer locked in police van, Schrieber in the saucercopter above; Taylor in van driver seat
- Piper in passing car
- "Hey, what does 'checkerboard' mean?"
- (Big Picture - going after international banker, Grummond, in a walled park w/ veranda and historic house)
- Tucker is in hearse back looking at a dead woman; Hammer is morbid but not dead, driving a hearse.
- Taylor is in conversation going into park; Piper is being tested- set up by phone with sniper rifle.
- Piper in van scratched by spider man.
- Schrieber is now Nicholas - he is working for the NGO and talks to their "Facilities" instead of the company's "Control". At one point, he asks a question and they say "Jim should know".
- Hammer shoots Terrill in the head.
- Tucker and Taylor went into the house, but the phone lines were cut but they managed an emergency eject.
- Piper wanders out and is ejected by Facilities after Nicholas gets through to him.
- Hammer barely escapes with her life after successfully confronting the target.
- Big Picture: Schrieber and Tucker (Nicholas and Murray) have left, and are inserted to investigate where ...
- Hammer in middle of bombed theater. Taylor and Piper nearby.
- Piper in a copter, firing missles at N & M.
- Murray's note: "Piper is my friend and I must help him."
John H. Kim <jhkim-at-darkshire-dot-net>
Last modified: Wed Jul 7 11:16:46 2010